April 14, 2012

Action Week: the Arrival of Spring in Japan

When I went to see David Hockney's exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts of London, a whole room was dedicated to big paintings of hawthorne in full spring bloom. I thought I'd borrow its accompagnying description which tells so well the anticipation that people in Japan have for Sakura blossoms.

"He has learned accurately to anticipate the arrival of hawthorn blossom in spring and to recognise its early signs of growth. He refers to the period as Action Week, indicating his mindfulness that spring, unlike winter and summer, is shortlived and must be painted with some urgency. He rises early to paint nature in all her wild exuberance … (the blossom) is as if a thick white cream had been poured over everything … just an intense visual pleasure."

'花見' (HanaMi) - People enjoying life in Yoyogi-Koen, Tokyo

Sakura Trees lit up at night in Ueno-koen, Tokyo



An ephemeral joy for the senses - sakura blossoms last no longer than a week.

The last three pictures were taken today. I am now 300 km away from Tokyo for a three week-long work experience at one of the company's factory. As we have the week-end off, I decided to cycle to a hill-top to see the sakura trees and the sea. Luckily, as I was toiling my way uphill, an old couple stopped to give me a lift. And once up there, another lady gave me some tofu-doughnuts because I was a foreigner! Oh, I love people.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning shots, and a lovely sentiment. Do you remember that old couple on Miyajima who gave us candies cause we were gaijin? So sweet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful. I love your blog so very much.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics!!! I really enjoy reading your posts! Oh, the pro's of being a gaijin in Japan..!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete